Monday, August 28, 2006

Nothing Lasts forever

I
t's time for me to leave now. My little Syrian adventure is finally over. I've been a bit tired of being here lately and the last couple of days have been even worse. It doesn't feel like I live here anymore. Somehow it feels like I've already left and I'm just stuck in a limbo for now. This makes it quite hard for me to do something productive, then I don't really have anything productive to do anymore...

Saying that, Syria has been great. Despite actually having visited here before it was nothing like I expected. Maybe because I didn't spend any time around Bab Touma back in those days... I've had a really good time and I've learned more than I could have ever hoped for. When i came here I could hardly separate the words in a newscast on Al-Jazeera or read anything that wasn't a newspapers articel. Now I'm reading novels and listening to the news whenever I want. The big drawback of that is of course that I'm losing Hans. I've hardly used him the last couple of months and now I don't even now where I put him. I still need him though, I guess that will always be true.

I also made lots of friends here, some of them I might even stay in touch with even if I'm usually quite bad at that. Almost all of my foreign friends have left by now though but that also feels good. I always want to be the last man standing...

One thing I didn't understand was Syria. Whenever I thought I had figuered this place out someone told me something that just tilted everything again. I leave the figuring out part for someone else...

T
he same goes for the people here. Some people might write books like "The Arab Mind" and say they know it all. I'd never do that. I only know two things; most Arabs really love smoking, but then who doesn't? And none of them knows how to drive a car...

F
or now only a haircut, a last dinner, a last time at the gym, a last coffe at Inhouse and one last ride to the airport is all that's left for me here. I guess i should pack too. My bag is really small but I've got so much stuff I want to bring home with me. I think I might have to get creative, like buying a new bag or something. Packing is boring though...

It's not really sleeping time for this blog just right now though. I'll still write a post or two after I get home...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home