Saturday, March 18, 2006

My life as an homeless person

There came both good and bad things from leaving Meze. The good things are that I no longer have a strange landlord and that I don't have to go all the way out there whenever I have to go home from anywhere but uni.
Then there are the bad things. Usually when you live somewhere you get a key to the door. For me that is not currently the case. Luke has been nice enough to provide me with a key to the room but there exist no extra key to the main door. So if I want to get in to the house I'm pretty much dependant on someone else being awake. That is usually cool since especially Luke never seem to sleep. On the other hand he's not always home... Like thursday night. The plan was that most all of us were going to Cave again, there was that slight hope of reliving the previous thursday. Then again, we all know that's impossible. That not everyone showed up that were there before didn't really improve things either. My biggest problem, though, was that Luke had a date with an American girl and when he called and said he wasn't going home it kind of meant that neithar was I since he had the key. Looking for somewhere to sleep at two o'clock in Damascus is far from as fun as it might sound. Then again everything went fine, it wasn't like I had to sleep in a park or so. The irony of it all was that most people that had an extra bed all lived in Meze. There's something about that place that keep pulling me back.
Yesterday was better though. First of all me, Luke, Noah and Omar went to the hamam for some cleaning and massage. That means that I went to the hamam with three Americans. You should never go to the hamam with Americans. They all think the massageguy is going to hit on them and that the guy in the sauna wants to buy them an expensive dinner. Still it was a good time but the sauna was a bit on the cold side and the massage was short but I'm starting to think that it's the "foreigner special".

Of course the night only starts at the hamam it hopefully never ends there. So we went to Cafe Rest for some cheap dinner and beer. It's a good place because it's one of the few places where you can get both an argileh and a beer. Later on we went to Alex's place for a big foreigners only party. Alex is a nice guy and he lives in a REALLY big apartment in Malki/Abu Rumane. It was such a crazy party that it was finally broken up by the police. Since I'm not American that's never happend to me before... Anyway, more or less everyone was there and I got introduced to so many new words from the Americans. They're all about "spitting game", "power hour" and "keeping it real". I'm so happy I'm European...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home