Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Not leaving at all

I might have written once or twice about going to Jordan this week end. Then again, it would mean that I'd have to skip class at least once and most probably twice. Since I came here to study I came to the conclusion that skipping class is not an option. I'll have a long weekend next week and then a five day holliday after that so going somewhere is still doable.

Not going to Jordan meant that I had to go to the ministery of interior visas and passports branch I've heard so many horrible, horrble things about that place that I was half expecting to spend the rest of my breathing days in that place. But it was nothing like that, I went inside and got some forms from a guy behind a counter. They were in french and arabic and since I'm not always too confident in my Arabic and my French is as non-existant as an Italian girls English I asked this very nice Algerian girl to help me. Actually I didn't even had to ask, she just helped me anyway. Then I went downstairs to have some copies made and to buy the stamp (there's always a stamp to be made and some passport photos to hand to different people). After doing some more running around the place I went back to the guy behind the counter and he asked me what I was doing here and if I had a paper from the uni. The problem with that paper was that it only says I'm staying for another two weeks, which isn't really true. I'm planning to stay for much longer than that. So I simply asked the guy if he might give me another month and he just went NO! That made me a bit sad but then he quickly added that he'd give me two and then I was happy again. I did some more running around getting signatures from different people before the guy behind the counter took and kept my passport. I had to wait for like five minutes before getting it back and then I only needed one more signature before I was free to leave. All in all it took about half an hour.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I'm totally green with envy. Sitting in Colorado while you write about going to Amman or Beirut so casually. I need to get out of the USA. Yesterday my sons and I went out to a bar and I actually met someone from Lebanon. You have to know how remote my location is to appreciate how exciting that was. Then a woman in the bar showed me a tatoo on her ankle which she said says, "salam" in Arabic. It looks nothing like Salam to me. I have to hit the road again but am kind of in a rut here in America working and living a rather average life. I have to get a new passport to enter Syria because of my Israeli stamp you would think that because I also have a Denied Entry stamp they would allow it. Banned from Israel. Cherie

7:35 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home