Monday, March 27, 2006

Therapy?

My health was becoming such an issue that i finally had to go and see a doctor. Since I'm not the biggest fan of neither doctors nor medication I tried to prolong my visit for as long as possible but in the end it was impossible. I did get better since my last post here but my appetite never came back and my stomach never got any better so after six days of not eating I ended up going to this really posh private clinic in Abu Roumane. It was recommended to me by English Ben, I guess his experience of the place differed from mine...

Anyway, I went there after school yesterday and it really looked posh. With automatic doors made out of frosted glass and everything. Registering for an appointment wasn't any problem either and I just had to wait for 15 minutes or something before seeing the doctor.

The examination was very quick and he just felt my stomach a bit and also took my blood pressure. That was when everything went wrong. Apparently my blood pressure had gone very low because of me not eating anything (in my defense I'd like to say that I did drink an ocean or two instead) so he thought that some IV-fluid would be good for me and at the same time they would give me some antibiotics.

I didn't really like the sound of that but being to weak to say no I went with it. So the doctor leads me deeper in to the clinic and hands me over to a nurse that puts me on a bed. She then proceeds to not find a vein on my right arm before settling for (not) finding a vein in my left one. Being an experienced blood donor I know that my right arm isn't a good place to find a vein but that there are plenty in my left. Anyway, she starts the drip and quite immediately I feel a cold but very intense pain spreading through my left arm. I thought it might have been so that the needle wasn't in a vein. But rather than redoing the thing both the doctor and the nurse blamed me for being a sissy (not using that word though). I must admit that I've never felt such an intense pain in my entire life, ever.Maybe when i broke my arm years ago but that I don't remember. They didn't care much for my pain though and after a while they changed the IV to antibiotics instead. If the IV was painful there just aren't words to describe what the antibiotics caused, pain is simply too small a word. I was literally shaking and my left hand was sweating, despite being cold as ice. It took quite the effort just to keep the tears back.

Now I really started complaining and they kept telling me that I shouldn't worry. At least they lowered the speed of the fluid, it didn't really make the pain go away but it sure made the entire thing take longer time. That was the best thing all day. Me being such a whimp seem to finally have got to them because they mixed the last bottle of antibiotics in to the IV fluid and changed it back. It didn't do much for the pain though but I liked the effort. In the end I couldn't stand it and they had to take the needle out, which resulted in the following:

Doctor: You can move your arm now

Me: No I can't

Doctor: But there's nothing in there anymore

Me: But I can't move it.

Doctor: You'll be fine in half an hour, just get out now.

So I paid the fine price of 2.500 lira ($50) and left with a small bag of pills I'm supposed to take. Being a bad patient I only take the antibiotics...

Today I'm a lot better though and I'll stick to my Ciprofloxacin for another couple of days. But this morning I was still so tired from yesterdays adventure that I couldn't make it out of my bed so I got to school two hours late. I'll be there on time tomorrow though.

On a much nicer note: I had the best result of all students in the last level (Beating Werner by one point). I was also the only one in the two classes that got a full 10 points in classactivity/homework doing. I guess it pays of not to skip classes...

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Niklas you need to take care of yourself. Drink plenty of water and start eating small healthy soups. You can even make these yourself. This all sounds too scary. I give IV's all day and night as I am on the IV team at the hospital and doesn't matter if it is left or right arm it doesn't HURT! Cherie

12:08 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home